But now since being an environmentalist becomes an emerging trend, I decided to take part in saving my world (from annual flood, daily air pollution, all times rubbish. Not so far until global warming and walrus. They're too far away. And not included earthquakes. They're part of fate). Saving animals is included. Regarding my unsuccessful experiences in my younger days, I started developing new methods in saving animals. I made an attempt to explain that animals are part of the nature, balance of the food chains, have important role in ecosystem and heritage for our children and so on and so forth and bla bla but to no avail. Sadly the word "greenpeace" only means a bunch of people, claiming themselves conservationists but the mere thing they do is standing in a shopping mall, explaining about their project in a language that hardly understood by normal people-but you have to pretend to follow them unless you want to look ignorant- and eventually: asking for our credit card number. Not to mention that they will send a membership card saying you have participated in Greenpeace movement. Yeah, that's so cool. I'll call them if my greenpeace membership card gets drifted in the flood.
This new technique I want to show you, works better. To save an endangered animals in Indonesia, you'd rather:
- Claim the animal as a magical being, not a real animal, but actually another shape of human with supranatural power who seeks for something mystical. By calling it binatang jadi-jadian or ngepet, the poor animal will obtain another chance to live, because nobody dare to harm it. The drawback is, if there's someone claim himself/herself having paranormal power and decide to kill it for the sake of paranormal hierarchy, then the animal is now more endangered than before. It's a bit tricky to deal with occultism, in fact. Still, it's more promising than greenpeace in the shopping malls.
- Spread the issue that the animal brings a good luck. Like arwana or lohan fish. Suddenly everybody loves them and in every corner of fish stall, everybody sells the fish with a high price. No wonder a lot of people try to breed the fish. Conclusion: the fish saved from extinction.
- Say that an animal has a curative effect, when alive. It's common to say that some animals bring health or enhance well-being, but when eaten. This, of course, doesn't work. Say that they bring more health and enhance more well-being (we can add improve sexual ability here) when they live happily, healthily and in a good shape (means not dead or cooked in a ginger sauce).
- Claim that the animal is good for feng-shui, business or anything to do with prosperity. Same reason as number two.
- Make saving animal a trend. If we can make a good-rating television program about how a cool dude rescuing an orang utan baby (without becoming Tarzan. Tarzan is so out of date) and then give it a free life in its habitat, perhaps some people will give their credit card number to support greenpeace saving orang utan in Kalimantan forest.